Review each of the following quotations. For each quote, choose one foundational thinker we have read, whose theory you think speaks best to the themes raised by the quotation, and discuss why in 2-3 paragraphs. Students should consider a different foundational thinker for each quotation.:
Thinkers: Socrates, Aristotle, Machiavelli, Hobbes, Locke, Rousseau, Tocqueville
Be sure to:(a) identify the thinker(b) identify their texts(c) clearly explain how their theories relate to the particular quotation(d) discuss the insights you think they provide on the themes raised in the quotation.
1. Great men, great nations, have not been boasters and buffoons, but perceivers of the terror of life, and have manned themselves to face it. Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live. Dorothy Thompson
3. “A mature society understands that at the heart of democracy is argument. Salman Rushdie
4. Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace. Benito Juarez
5. They ordered my arrest. And let me tell you something: I am going to obey this order of theirs..if I didnt believe in justice I wouldnt have founded a political party. I would have proposed a revolution. But I believe in justice. A fair justice system where verdicts are based on the evidence presented. Lula Da Silva