HUMAN SERVICES MIDTERM REVIEWChapter 1
1. Explain the purpose/ role of each of the following organizations:Credentialing and Education (CCE) National Organization of Human Services (NOHS)? Council for Standards in Human Service Education (CSHSE)Southern Regional Education Board (SREB)2. What are the 12 skill standards and competencies for the Human Service Professional? (For exam you should be able to define/ identify each)3. What are the 13roles and functions of the Human Service Professional? (For exam you should be able to define/ identify each)4. What are the main purposes/ goals of professional associations?5. Which professional association was founded by G. Stanley Hall in 1892?6. Which professional association publishes the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5)?7. What are the eight (8) Characteristics of an Effective Helper? (For exam you should be able to define/ identify each)8. Explain unconditional positive regard9. What is the main idea behind the RESPECTFUL Counseling Model? Who developed the RESPECTUAL Counseling Model? 10. Robert Kegan and William Perry are credited with developing which approach?
1. Who suggested it was important to have an understanding of history and coined the term Paradigm shift?
2. What three professions strongly influenced the Human Service field?
3. What two psychologists are credited with being the first experimental psychologists?
4. Which psychologist developed the first individual intelligence test?
5. Hypnosis was first introduced in the late 1800s by which psychologist?
6. Which laws gave the church the legal power to help oversee the poor, which included providing shelter and aiding the sick and jobless?
7. Who established the first Hull House in Chicago, and became the first American women to receive the Nobel Peace Prize for her social activism?
8. Who was instrumental in reshaping the practices of the social health profession by including a greater focus on systems and family counseling rather than individuals in isolations?
9. Who is credited with establishing the first social work program at Columbia University?
10. Who is considered the founder of vocational guidance/ vocational counseling
11. What is the name of the professional association counselors?
12. Why is the National Mental Health Act (1946) important to the Human Service Profession?
13. What did the Community Mental Health Center Act of 1963 provide to the Human Service Profession?
14. Explain the following professional standards: program accreditation and ethical standards?
15. Who created the Human Service Board Certified Practitioner in 2008?
1. What are the three types of credentialing? Which one is the most rigorous to obtain?2. What are some of the benefits of credentialing?3. Explain the accreditation process for Human Service programs? What are some benefits of program accreditation? 4. What are some drawbacks of ethical standards/ guidelines?5. Explain each of the following Ethical Decision Making Models:Problem-Solving ModelPrinciple Ethics ModelDevelopmental Model (difference between dualism and relativism?)
Chapter 41. What are the main differences between counseling and psychotherapy?2. Why is it important to have a theory? 3. Define the term heuristic4. Explain the view of human nature. How does an individual develop their view of human nature?5. What are the four conceptual orientations that theories are placed into mostly?6. Explain each of the three popular psychodynamic approaches discussed in class7. Explain each of the three popular existential-humanistic approaches discussed in class8. What main concept did Abraham Maslow contribute to humanistic counseling? 9. Explain each of the four popular cognitive- behavioral approaches discussed in class10. Explain each of the three popular postmodern approaches discussed in class
HUMAN SERVICES MIDTERM REVIEWChapter 1